Monday 18 January 2016

Award Season

Award season has begun as we've seen the Golden Globes wrapping up for 2016 and the Oscar nomination ruffling a few feathers(or maybe weaves) as there are no black actors in their nominees. Well that's their problem, we've got our own Penny Sparrow to deal with and our own award season to see through. Kicking off our 2016 award season is the 15th Annual Metro FM Awards. The nominees were announced on Thursday 14 2016. Leading the pack this year is the Nomvula hit maker Nathi and the disc jockey duo Spectacular and Naves. Let's slaughter a few of the categories and who I think should win. Best African Pop Album: Nathi - Buyelekhaya Zahara - Country Girl Zonke - Work of Heart Maleh- You Make My Heart Go Kabomo - Sekusile This category is interesting. Firstly I didn't know Kabomo and Maleh had albums and I thought Zonke's album is too fresh to be nominated. Either way all 3 should forget about this one because its between Zahara and Nathi and I hope Nathi wins. Best Female Album: Maleh - Feels So Good Zonke - Reach It Zahara - Country Girl Thiwe - Soul Therapy Fifi Cooper - 20Fifi This category has some good vocalists going head to head and my gut tells me Zahara is having this one while I'm secretly hoping Fifi Cooper snatches it(I'm just a fan) Best RnB Single: Zonke - Reach It Nathi - Nomvula Maleh - Feels So Good CiCi - Runaway Vincent Bones - My Lady And again Zonke, Nathi and Maleh are battling it out in the same category with 2 new comers to go against,CiCi and the 2014 SA Idols winner Vincent Bones. Just because she came with a different sound and nobody sounds like her at the moment I'd like CiCi to take this one, imagine bringing a legendary dying stable back to life. That deserves a nod. Best Urban Gospel Album: Ntokozo Mbambo - Andile Ka Majola - Malusj Mbomazi - Ngisize Nkosi Ayanda Ntazi - Udumo Worship House - True Worship 2015 Don't really listen to gospel so whoever wins this one "Praise God", quoting Rebecca Malope Best Hit Single: Aka - baddest L-Tido - Dlala Ka Yona Kwesta - Nomayini Witness The Funk - Nomusa Shekhinah - Back to the beach So far this is the toughest category coz each and every one of these songs made waves everywhere. Imma' show a little favourism here because Witness The Funk is one of the best things that ever happened to me in 2015 so let's not discuss it they should just win. Best New Artist: Nathi Emtee Riky Rick Prince Kaybee Fifi Cooper Another interesting category. Nathi deserves this one because he's been the talk of town for a whole year. I didn't know they still considered Ricky Rick a new artist but anyway I don't think Boss Zonke is enough to carry him through this one and once again Fifi representing for the ladies as she's the only female in the category. Just give it to Nathi. Best Hip Hop Album: Cassper Nyovest - Refiloe Riky Rick - Refiloe Emtee - Avery Fifi Cooper - 20FIFI Zakwe - Impande This category makes me happy not because AKA is not nominated, I would be happy even if he was and Cassper wasn't. It makes me because not having them going head to head means there won't be a playground school girl fight on twitter. And for what its worth I think Cassper deserves it. Best Male Album: Nathi - Buyelekhaya Black Coffee - Pieces of Me Cassper Nyovest - Refiloe Prince Kaybee - Better Days Riky Rick - Family Values Everyone else in this category should just sit down already coz the winner is amongst the first three names. Black Coffee has and still is doing the most in music both nationally and internationally for that reason I feel he deserves this one and big ups for making it to Coachella. African Category: Burma Boy Ojuelwgba Partoranking - Woman my everything The Marvins - Dorobucci Reekado Banks - Katapot This category excites me the most. We have finally included our fellow africans but its a quite dangerous category. Patoranking, Burna Boy and the Mavins are all very much loved in SA but we know who the boss is. The Mavins of course. Song Of The Year: Black Cofeee - We Dance Again Nathi - Nomvula Sphectacula & DJ Naves featuring Professor - Kings Of The Weekend Anthem Durbanyts - Shumaya Heavy K - Umoya DJ Ganyani - Talk To Me Prince Kaybee - Wajellwa Riky Rick - Boss Zonke Shimza - Akulalwa Prince Kaybee - Better Days I am also quite amped about this category, there are a lot of deserving artists. Shumaya has done some serious rounds(and still is) but We Dance Again escalated very quickly and Nomvula is a song of sentimental value to a lot of people and Heavy K is always a hit in the festive season. I seriously don't know who deserves this the most but between me and you I'm hoping Black Coffee wins (The list of nominees is extracted from Times Live but not the comments and Predictions)

No comments:

Post a Comment